Submit an abstract
BESS invites the submission of a 300 word abstract for papers for the above meeting. We expect to accept the top 42 submissions for podium presentations and the next 20 best submissions for poster presentation. If your abstract is accepted for podium or poster presentation it will be published in the Proceedings supplement of the Shoulder & Elbow journal. The paper will be accepted on the understanding that the senior author will be present at the meeting to support the presentation. Prizes for the three best papers overall as well as an AHP prize and an endeavour prize will be awarded as detailed on the BESS Website.
The deadline for submissions is: 11.59 pm Friday, 31 March 2017
Instructions to authors submitting an abstract to BESS Coventry 2017
- All submissions must be via this website bess.org.uk
- All communications regarding the paper will be by email only to the corresponding author.
- There is no facility to submit a paper for consideration for poster only.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit their abstracts early and to prepare the text carefully prior to on-line submission according to the instruction for authors (see below).
- This year ALL authors will be expected to complete a mandatory Conflict of Interests Declaration with their submission.
- This year you will be able to amend submission up until the deadline date of 31 March 2017.
- Abstracts are scored by council members anonymously. Any papers giving the details of the submitting centre in the text of the abstract will NOT be considered.
- Once submitted, confirmation will be sent by email. If this is not received within two hours then the abstract has not been successfully submitted. Authors are encouraged to retain this confirmation email in case of dispute. The judging committee will not accept any responsibility for missing abstracts where the authors cannot produce the submission confirmation email.
- A final decision of accepted papers will be made by 21 April 2017. An email will be sent to the corresponding author after this date.
- The title. Entire title in capital letters, without abbreviations.
- Author’s initial/s and first letter of surname in capital letters; remainder of name in lower case.
- The institution where work was carried out.
Organisation of Content
- A statement of the purposes of the study (one sentence).
- A summary of the methods used and the results.
- A statement of the conclusion. (It is not acceptable to state “The results will be discussed”).
- Include simple tables or graphs only if necessary. (These will not be included when submitting to Shoulder and Elbow).
- Use common abbreviations. If unusual abbreviations are used, the full phrase must be used in parentheses the first time it appears.
- Use only single line spacing
- Do not mention sponsors.
- Do not use commercial names of medicines.
- Please remember that all abstracts are scored by BESS Council anonymously. It is vital therefore that there must be no information within the body of the abstract submitted that could identify either the authors or the institution which carried out the work. Failure to do this will result in automatic rejection of the submission.